GBHS students learn Art & Design to…
- Develop creative, analytical and critical thinking skills that will help them to question and interpret the world around them.
- Improve practical art skills.
- Enable learners to explore a wide range of techniques and media that will allow them to progress ideas independently.
- Develop their work in a safe and nurturing environment.
- Build learners confidence and allow them to take risks with their work both now and in the future.
The courses we run
Key Stage 3
Students have one lesson of Art and Design per week in Years 7, 8 and 9.
Schemes of work introduce students to drawing, painting, mixed media techniques, ceramics, 3D, relief printing and exploring the work of other artists. Throughout the course we build on these techniques and aim to improve skills and understanding to prepare students to undertake further study at Key Stage 4.
Key Stage 4
We offer GCSE at Key Stage 4. Students can opt to take GCSE (5 lessons per fortnight).
In 2018, 73% of GCSE students achieved 9 - 4 grades and 100% 9 - 1.
Key Stage 5
We offer GCE A2 at Key Stage 5. Students receive 9 lessons per fortnight.
In 2018, the A2 students achieved 80% A*-C, and 100% A*-D.
Items of particular interest
We are fortunate to have a large, well equipped department with 5 specialist teachers. We have excellent facilities including a dark-room, digital cameras, screen-print exposure unit, kiln, potter’s wheels, printing presses and sewing machines.
We make regular visits to Galleries to see both their collections and special exhibitions, these include the Tate Gallery, the National Gallery, the Royal Academy, Saatchi Gallery in London and the Sainsbury Collection in Norwich.
We have an open door policy and students are encouraged to come and work in the department at lunchtimes and after school develop their ideas and skills further. There is a spectacular annual exhibition to celebrate the achievements of our students in the public examinations in late June.