Great Baddow Sports College is a successful co-educational secondary school for sport and prides itself on the high standards it achieves.
The physical education faculty offers expert support to the very highest level, training students in clubs before school, at lunchtimes and after school, as well as fixtures on Saturday mornings. School teams regularly appear in finals in a variety of sports at district, county, regional and national level.
What is a Specialist College?
- A centre of excellence in the region, providing excellent facilities and opportunities for the pupils and staff that best suit their needs.
- It raises the standard of teaching and learning and sets high, challenging targets for it’s staff and pupils to achieve.
- The college builds on the school’s strengths and achieves a distinctive identity through its chosen specialism.
- The Sports College benefits other schools in the area by sharing the expertise and facilities at its disposal.
- A Sports College is part of the Government Specialist Schools Programme which develops specialist schools in areas such as sport, technology, arts and modern foreign languages. These subjects are growing all the time and now include mathematics and music. Works with other curriculum areas to set up projects to enhance their overall grades and understanding.
Why did Great Baddow High School want to become a Specialist College?
Great Baddow is constantly seeking ways to improve – Sports College status represents a fantastic opportunity to improve and excel.
We want the best for our pupils within the school – this is an opportunity to provide the best facilities and opportunities for those pupils.
Sports College status provides Great Baddow with the opportunity to improve links with other schools and clubs in the area/region
How does it benefit children at the school?
- We encourage all students to take GCSE or BTEC in Physical Education/Sport
- A wide range of increased facilities to experiment with different sports
- More expertise in different/specialist areas/sports
- More staff available to coach
- Increased connection with the community and clubs
- Greater opportunities in curricular and extra-curricular PE.
Leadership Academy 2016
The Leadership academy is set up to develop pupils skill set in the field of leadership and to gain pupils relevant qualifications to move onto Higher Education, or employment.
All students will engage in a variety of leadership responsibilities throughout the course ranging from Mid Essex Tournament running to Panathlon (disabled sport) County finals. The leadership is part of the course, but also develops the pupils transferable skills (e.g. team work, communication, planning & evaluating skills).
Qualifications gained throughout the Leadership academy
- BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and Physical Activity Development (Level 3) – 15 hours p/w.
- F.A Level 1 Coaching award
- Step into employment awards
- High Sports Leaders award (Level 3)
- YMCA Gym instructors award
- Additional governing body awards.
The Sports College has many links with sports clubs and other schools within the Chelmsford community. These links have been developed over a number of years, and have been especially important to the school since achieving Sports College Status.
Follow the Sports Links entry on the Sports College menu to find a number of links and contact details to many of these highly valued connections: